THESE GUIDELINES ARE FOR USE WITHIN THE MAIDSTONE & TUNBRIDGE WELLS NHS TRUST ONLY
Hypocalcaemia post thyroidectomy- the regime below has been observed as common practice post total thyroidectomy in patients at TWH:
- If Calcium <2.2 mmol/L, give Adcal 2 tablets QDS
- If Calcium <2.1 mmol/L, give Adcal D3 2 tablets QDS
- If Calcium <2.0 mmol/L, give Alfacalcidol 0.5-2 micrograms
- Check bloods every 2-3 days i.e. day 0, 1, 2, 3 and 5
- If Calcium <1.8 mmol/L, high risk of tetany, patient will require admission for slow IV Calcium gluconate
- If Calcium >2.2 mmol/L, reduce to Adcal 2 tablets BD and continue monitoring.
*Ensure that it is the adjusted Calcium level checked.